The Association was formed in 1951 and was the first properly constituted body for professional hypnotists in the UK and is a founder member of the United Kingdom Confederation of Hypnotherapy Organisations.
- To seek official and public recognition of qualified practitioners of Therapeutic Hypnosis.
- The promotion, development, research and practice of Therapeutic Hypnosis for the benefit of all.
- The maintenance and coordination of training standards. Codes of Ethics and professional conduct.
- To promote, develop, research and practice the art of hypnosis and NLP and the science of hypnotherapy and to extend the proper understanding of hypnosis in all its branches and aspects.
- To provide and organisation for the protection of both the general public and practising hypnotists and therapists.
- To collaborate with similar organisations with a view to seeking official recognition of the practice of Therapeutic Hypnosis and of qualified registered practitioners.
- To establish liaison for practitioners, professional auxiliaries and lay working with the Health Authorities and the general public.
- To train, teach, qualify and register bona fide qualified entrants to the profession of Hypnotherapy by recognised, comprehensive and extensive training courses under the close supervision of highly trained teachers, lecturers and practitioners of long experience and standing.
- Administration is maintained through a democratically elected Committee voted into office by members of the Association, such Committee and its members abiding by a full and proper Constitution, Code of Ethics and Practice and Disciplinary Procedures.
- All proceeds from annual and renewal subscription, seminars, workshops, etc. are credited to the Association only and no officials receive any monetary gain other than normal expenses for work done on behalf of BAThH.
- The Committee of the day is responsible for ethical and disciplinary standards together with updating members as to legal and statutory requirements.
- All members are required as a condition of membership to hold full Professional Liability Insurance cover.